Sunday, August 17, 2008

Cambridge Film Fest - nearly ready to roll

We finally managed to agree the final list of what's going into each of the four CFF machinima screenings. And then, last week, the organiser reminded us that we had to give an age rating for each of the 40 movies we're showing, so Saint and I had the unenviable task of going through each one with the BBFC guidelines in hand, counting the number of uses of each swear word, looking for digital breasts, and making judgements about whether these were gratuitous, offensive, or justified in context. Once upon a time I thought that being a BBFC examiner and watching the uncut version of a load of films would be really cool. Now, I'll pass, thank you. You can't take your eyes of the screen for a second or have a momentary daydream, in case you miss something, and after a couple of hours, your eyeballs really start to hurt. And some of the moral judgements you have to make are quite tricky. I'll be interested to see whether people agree with the ratings we gave.

Fortunately we didn't have to judge them for any awards. I spent Monday watching the Dragon*Con machinima selecti0n (which is excellent - well done, Christina!) and picking my top three. It wasn't easy, but I'm satisfied that the right film won in the end. But two full days of watching machinima was a good change of pace. It reminds me why I do what I do - it's not about the business, or the production plans; it's all about the movies. Congrats to everyone who got a movie in to either or both of these shows.

We also got the final proofs of the brochure on Friday, and it's looking good. The machinima stream gets three full-colour pages, no less! Not bad, eh?

As soon as they give me the go-ahead, I'll post the final list up here.

2 comments:

Ricky Lee Grove said...

Sounds like the fest is going to have an excellent line up. I sure wish I could come. Good luck!

Matt Kelland said...

I wish I could tell you what's showing at Dragon*Con, but Christina told me: "I'll post a list for the public of the entries selected for screening as well as the winner on a web page within a few days after the Con. Given the online accessibility/nature of machinima, anyone who wants to know what's screening before then needs to come to the Con. ;)"

And if I defy her, she won't give me free beer, so I'm keeping mum.