- It works for me.
- I've never had that problem.
- It shouldn't do that. Are you sure that's happening?
- Have you tried [obvious basic operation]?
That's basically the equivalent of telling people my car won't start, and getting the responses:
- My car starts. (Yeah. My car's broken. Not yours.)
- My car's always started. (Guess what? Mine always started too, until it went wrong.)
- Your car should start. Are you sure it's not starting? (Yes, I'm pretty damn sure.)
- Have you tried turning the ignition key? (Uh, yes. How do you think I normally start my car?)
All obviously useless responses. So why do we treat computer-based issues so differently?