A year ago, I set myself a bunch of goals for 2010. Overall, I think I exceeded them by quite some margin. I didn't get to Hawaii or buy a motorcycle, but in the circumstances, I can live with that. After all, we bought the jungle house, and that changed everything. I also managed to (deep breath) start two companies, see spaceships and pirate ships, watch an eclipse at solstice, have the best damn birthday party since I was five, see a mermaid show, watch some unforgettable classic movies in the cinema, go to an Indian reservation, take my daughter to Disney World, blow shit up on the Fourth of July, go to a demolition derby and a roller derby, attend nearly 100 art exhibitions, see some great live bands, swim in the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico (pre-spill), eat some great meals, go to a bunch of burlesque shows, see white alligators, acquire two manic kittens and still have time to help Anna put on a bunch of outrageous events... (whew!)
And, most important of all, I met some wonderful new people. I've never felt such a sense of belonging as I do now. Thanks to all of you, for being the best bunch of friends ever. You made 2010 the best year of my life.
Anyway, here's my goals for 2011. They're not as extensive as last year. 2010 was all about settling in here. Next year will be about consolidating everything we've achieved, and just weathering it through to the end of this recession.
- Get Carrie over here. She wants to live with us, so we're going to do whatever it takes to make that happen for her. More lawyers. Sigh.
- See my other kids. It's been nearly 18 months since I saw Rhys or Yo. That needs sorting out. I'm looking forward to seeing my mum too; she's visiting in a few weeks.
- Sort out the finances. 2010 was an unexpectedly expensive year, what with the new house and Carrie's visit, and the household income also took a noticeable drop. I'd like to see it start to creep up again, and then we can start clearing some of the debts. The publishing business should start to pay off by mid-year, and we're aiming for Draco Felis to bring in a little more.
- Make a will. It's easy, and it needs doing. Simple.
- Sort out my diet. My digestive system is getting middle-aged, and I just can't eat what i used to. I still love food, and now that I go to the gym I'm not as fat and unfit as I was, but I'm going to have to figure out what I can and can't eat. It looks like I'm going to have to cut out most dairy foods, eat less fat, and generally avoid too much of the rich stuff. Still, it's a great excuse to get creative and experimental in the kitchen.
- Get my first tattoo. Well, why not? I've got to have something in here that's just for me!
- Spend more time with Anna. We probably go out about four times a week, but it's almost always something to do with work, or it's a big event for the tribe. It's fun, but it's not the same as just spending time together. What I really want is just once a month for the two of us to go somewhere together. As it said in the fortune cookie I got on Christmas Eve: "Put aside your business and attend to your love life." Sound advice. I'll take it.
And on that note, I'm now going to put the laptop aside, and spend what remains of 2010 with my family. Happy New Year, everyone!
[Edited 1.1.11 to add in the bit about the will.]